Barr and Britvic in Soft Drinks Merger

Posted on 14 November, 2012 by MOVEHUT

The makers of Irn Bru, A.G. Barr have agreed to merge with Britvic which is one of the leading soft drinks makers. The move will create the largest company to produce soft drinks in Europe.

A.G. Barr was established in 1875 and produces not only Irn Bru, but also brands including, Rubicon, Strathmore, Simply, St Clements, Sun Exotic and Tizer. They also have a franchise in Orangina which enables them to produce and sell the product, under licence.

Britvic is a lot younger than A.G. Barr, but has some of the most famous soft drinks under its umbrella. Brands include: Fruit Shoot, J2O, Robinsons, R Whites and Tango. The company also has exclusive bottling rights in the UK with Pepsi. This enables them to produce and sell 7UP, Mountain Dew, Pepsi and Pepsi Max.

Under the merger, the company will be renamed ‘Barr Britvic Soft Drinks plc’ and Britvic shareholders will have 63 per cent of the company and A.G. Barr will have the remaining 37 per cent. Currently the companies employ around 4,280 people, and some roles in operational, corporate and support will overlap, but the company anticipate it will take over three years for integration planning to take effect.

Speaking of the merger, Gerald Corbett non-executive Chairman at Britvic, said: “The merger of A.G. Barr and Britvic will create a world class soft drinks company.”

Ronald Hanna, non-executive Chairman at A.G. Barr continued: “The Combined Group will have a broad portfolio of attractive soft drinks brands with representation in key sub-segments of the soft drinks market.

“The new business will enjoy significant growth potential in all sectors of the market through diversified and enhanced routes to market and the potential of increased international exposure.”

It is understood that the registered office for the new company will be located in Cumbernauld – A.G. Barr’s current head office, and the operational headquarters will be located in Hemel Hempstead – Britvic’s present head office.

Do you currently work for A.G. Barr or Britvic? What do you think to the merger plans? Share your thoughts with us below.



Related Posts

    No related posts found for this post.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Recent Posts

Aldi’s Expansion Plan

British Steel on the verge of collapse with over 20,000 jobs at risk

Paris watches as flames engulf one of France’s most famous landmarks

Debenhams on the brink of administration as board reject Ashley’s bid

Emmanuel Macron pushes for a new Europe with European Parliament elections on the horizon

Brexit impacts property market

Brexit uncertainty impacts the property market

Oxford_Street_Selfridges_Christmas_Decorations_2017

Creative Christmas window displays

Toronto downtown skyscrapers

Brief history of skyscrapers

Savvy promotions attract early Christmas sales for retailers

Are savvy promotions attracting Christmas sales for retail stores?

Greenfield developments

Greenfield developments: The facts

facts about converting chapels churches

Things to consider when investing in church or chapel conversions

Lincoln Castle 1068

Exploring Lincoln Castle’s Georgian and Victorian Prison

the leopard inn Burslem

Facts about The Leopard Inn, Stoke-on-Trent

ancient high house Stafford

The majestic Ancient High House in Stafford

retro video game arcades

Retro video game arcades: The comeback

industrial style offices

How to achieve an industrial inspired office