Barwood targets Regional assets with £50m Fund

Posted on 3 March, 2015 by Cliff Goodwin

Barwood Capital — one of the UK’s leading real estate asset and investment managers — has launched a new £50m fund aimed at regional commercial property. With leverage and reinvested capital, the five-year fund will have an investment ceiling of £200m.

Office building with glass panels flowers and trees.

The fund — which will close next month— immediately attracted more than £25m from Barwood’s existing property fund clients. Executives from the Northampton-based company also pumped £1m of their own money into the vehicle, expected to produce a return of around 15 per cent.

The fund will consider underperforming commercial real estate assets valued at between £3m and £20m outside London and across all sectors. High net worth individuals and professional and institutional investors are expected to be the main contributors.

“We have a proven track record in delivering value to investors across market cycles, as well as a highly experienced team of professionals who are deeply embedded in the regional markets,” explained Joanna Greenslade, managing director of Barwood Capital.

“Against a backdrop of a recovering economy and increasingly liquid market for high quality UK regional assets, we will look to identify underperforming assets before adding significant value through letting up vacant space, achieving implementable planning permissions or programmes of refurbishment and development,” she said.

Barwood Capital, acting as asset manager to the new fund, will then sell these improved assets into the buoyant and improving prime market, “taking advantage of the positive arbitrage between primary and secondary assets”.

The fund launch follows Barwood’s recent announcement that it has formed db symmetry through the purchase of a 60 per cent stake in Barwood Development by clients advised by Delancey, the specialist property investment and development advisers. Barwood management team has retained the remaining 40 per cent share.

db symmetry will focus on large logistic assets with values outside the scope of Barwood’s new fund. It joins the market with an existing 1,330-acre portfolio of strategic land holdings, with an estimated development value of more than £1.4bn. By 2019 planning consent is expected on 20-million square feet of logistics projects concentrated around the UK’s main motorway arteries but primarily around the M1 and M40’s “Golden Triangle”.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Recent Posts

The latest property data has identified Newquay as the fastest property seller’s market in the UK

Investing in your garden can increase your property’s value

French Riviera temping high-end homebuyers

How can the ownership rights of my commercial property impact a business sale?

Should I incorporate virtual property viewings permanently?

Investment expected to increase across Asia-Pacific in 2021

UK property industry slows as the conclusion of tax break looms

BNP Paribas cautioned investors on Friday as debt-trading bonanza that increased its earnings this past year

Over 300,000 property purchases fell through in 2020 – we show the most frequent motives and the best way to get your house sale back on track

House Prices in the Capital Surpass £500,000

Optimism from the Bank of England’s chief economist

The most expensive commercial properties.

Businesses operating from shared premises will miss out on grants

BA cuts 12,000 jobs, unions hit back

Media Streaming Service See Record Subscriptions

Covid-19 Causes Millions To Claim UK Furlough Scheme