Located in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent The Leopard Inn is an impressive 18th-century public house with heaps of history.
With a dominant Georgian frontage and large bay windows, this three-storey historical pub is a listed building. Recently the owners discovered underground tunnels in the vaults which have re-ignited interest with many people as well as supernatural groups.
Prior to becoming an Inn, The Leopard was a coaching house and then a working pub for over 300 years which is impressive.
It was known as ‘The Savoy of the North’ and has seen its fair share of owners including a vicar from Porthill to Mary Lees a respectful property owner that acquired the Inn in the mid-1800’s.
In 1872 James Norris a local brewer purchase the Leopard Inn and adapted the pub by extending the rear of the property to create an additional 57 hotel bedrooms to accompany the existing Georgian rooms. Norris at the time believed that the area had the potential to accommodate the busy commercial trade. Norris succeeded as The Leopard Inn became one of the best commercial hotels in the area.
The Leopard offered various entertainment and food to all of its guests but after time the commercial trade faded and so in 1956 the Victorian hotel rooms were closed off. When the extension was closed the only rooms open to the public were the Georgian rooms located on the ground floor.
In 1965 new owners Bass Breweries invested in the pub by revamping the restaurant area rebranding it as the Arnold Bennett Suite. Despite money being invested into the pub the guest rooms and vaults remained closed.
The Leopard Inn is still a popular a pub in Burslem which provides entertainment and traditional food in its restaurant. However, the once-booming hotel at the rear remains empty and soulless. Even though the hotel remains closed many supernatural groups have conducted experiments which have seen this grand building being featured on television.
The majestic Ancient High House in Stafford